In 1954, three lots, at the corner of Ramey and Stallcup, were donated by Jack York for the location of a new church. Until a church could be built, services continued to be held in the McDonald Y.M.C.A. and various homes and offices. In June of 1958, Christ the King church of Fort Worth donated a small building which was moved to the Ramey Avenue property.
The first Mass was celebrated in the new building on July 6, 1958. In 1960, the building was enlarged and later converted to serve as the present parish hall.
On February 27, 1972, a new church building, the result of donations and the Holly Memorial Fund, was dedicated. In the history of the dioceses of Dallas and Fort Worth, St. Simon of Cyrene Episcopal Church is the first African American congregation to construct its own church.
St. Simon was granted a mission status at the 55th Dallas Diocesan Convention in 1949. On October 10, 1987, the Parish of St. Simon of Cyrene was granted a full Parish status at the Episcopal Diocese of Fort Worth Convention.
of Cyrene Episcopal Church has prospered due to its hard working members
and a history of distinguished Priests. The Priests below have gracefully
served our small but faithful group. By faith, we have come this far carrying
the cross of Jesus as we walk along the road to His kingdom. We pray, with
commitment and continuous Christian renewal, that we will continue to grow
in the spirit of Christ.