|<<< Previous Page|
The Diocese of Fort Worth was formed in 1982 from the western half of the Diocese of Dallas. On the seal, Fort Worth - The See City, is indicated by the gold fortress battlements that divide the shield fesswise. The black longhorn steer, a symbol of a major industry within the Diocese, is also a reminder of the frontier spirit and the venturesome nature of the people of God in this part of the country. The two silver rivers in the blue base, are a symbol of God's nourishment of the created order. The Trinity and Brazos rivers link Fort Worth with other dioceses and peoples in Texas: The Trinity River Links Fort Worth with Dallas, the Brazos River with other dioceses in Texas. The white star on blue stands for Texas. The upper half of the shield is red. In quarter one is a green canton, edged in gold, upon which appears a griffin rampant clutching a crozier in its foretalons. A griffin is a winged beast, the front half being an eagle, the hind half a lion. This element was borrowed from the personal seal of the Right Rev. Alexander Charles Gannett, First Bishop of Dallas (1874-1924), who was of Irish ancestry; he used the griffin to indicate heritage with the Church of England: Fort Worth adopted the griffin because of their Welsh heritage, and their linkage with the Diocese of Dallas. Of great significance is the fact that the apostolic succession of the American episcopate flowed through David, patron saint of Wales. The bearings are completed with a mitre and crossed key and crozier. The two rivers are further symbolized: the Trinity River by the Trinity design of the handle of the key; and the Brazos River by the choice of the Spanish motto, "LOS BRAZOS DE DIOS." or, "The Arms of God." The inscription reads, "THE SEAL OF THE EPISCOPAL DIOCESE OF FORT WORTH + 1983."