|In the beginning . . .|
|On October 23, 1955 thirty-three people
from Southeast Fort Worth met at the Mitchell Boulevard Elementary School
to consider the possibility of establishing an Episcopal Church in that
area. A petition to the Bishop for the organization of a Mission was signed.
The petition was approved, and Ed Joyce contributed property on Mitchell
Boulevard for a church building.
The Reverend Wright Johnson celebrated Holy Communion for the new congregation at the Glen Garden Country Club on October 30, attended by thirty-five people. After mass a vestry was elected, and the name "Saint Timothy's" was chosen for the new church. The congregation met weekly for mass at a rented store building at 4312 Wichita Street while they constructed a small frame building on the donated property.
The present church was built in 1959 and expanded in 1966. The frame building became the Parish Hall and after a fire in 1960 it was rebuilt and enlarged. New Church School buildings were added in 1968 and 1976.
In January of 1956 The Reverend Don W. Clark became the first resident priest. Eighteen months later The Reverend George M. Acker succeeded him. Father Acker guided Saint Timothy's from Mission to Parish status in May of 1960. He remained at Saint Timothy's until his retirement in 1987. After that, due to the deaths of many of the older parishioners and the relocation of others to different areas and states, membership declined; and in late 1993 the church had to revert to Mission status. The Reverend Bruce Coggin and The Reverend Samuel Edwards served as priests from 1987 until July of 1994 when The Reverend Christopher C. Stainbrook was assigned as Vicar. Under his guidance, membership is steadily growing again.
Past Seminarians . . .
Over the years, St. Timothy's has produced at least ten priests who have gone on to serve the church in various capacities. The impact that this small Anglican-Catholic parish on the east side of Fort Worth has had on the Episcopal Church is still being measured.